Connect: iFixit.com tears down the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
GoPro’s Hero3 gets the teardown treatment from iFixit.com.
The teardown revealed a separate lens in the tiny 59 x 41 x 21 mm camera, assisting boost its repairability score to 7 from 10 found on the iFixit scale. The iFixit team additionally found:
- Minimal adhesive securing the front cover.
- Four surprisingly-long (8.1 mm) T4 Torx screws carrying nearly all of the the GoPro internals together.
- The Hero3′s 3.7 V power is rated at 1050 mAh/3.85 Wh, a 50 mAh decrease from past models — presumably due to the device’s small size.The power is intended to be conveniently changed by the consumer, plus demands no tools to access.
The Hero3 comes inside white, black plus silver editions with 5, 12 or 11 megapixel cameras, respectively.
- The image sensor pops off the motherboard assembly plus is changed independently of the rest of the board. This could keep repair fees down when the sensor itself dies, yet not the entire motherboard.
- Chips found on the motherboard include:
- Chipsip CT4924 multi-chip memory package
- Ambarella A770 camera system-on-a-chip
- Austriamicrosystems AS3713 program PMU with backlight driver
- Freescale Kinetis SCK20DN51Z USB controller
- Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth four.0 controller
You could see the full teardown found on the iFixit website.